See how the product announced at Google I/O will work and that it will have an impact on Digital Marketing actions in the future
Google is about to take a big step in the way people search for information on the Internet. The name of this step is Google Lens.
Announced at Google I/O, the annual developer conference, the company showcased how Google Lens works.
Simply put, Google Lens is a search engine via a cell phone camera. It’s new artificial intelligence that enables an Android smartphone camera to read and interpret whatever is being pointed at.
The news was introduced by Google CEO Sundar Pichai. The tool will be available in Google Assistant and Google Photos soon.
Sundar Pichai presented some examples of using Google Lens to facilitate understanding:
- If a person looks at a commercial establishment on the street, location information such as ratings, opening hours, and user comments will appear on the screen.
- If the item is a flower, Google Lens will provide information about the plant’s species or whether there are flower shops nearby.
- If the person points to a barcode with credentials of a WiFi connection, the smartphone will be connected to the network automatically.
The integration of Lens with Assistant will also be a good tool for translations.
During the presentation, the cell phone camera was placed in front of a sign with information written in Japanese. By clicking on the Lens icon and asking “what does this mean?”, the Assistant translated the text.
Sundar Pichai also showed that Google’s algorithms have the technology to automatically improve the quality of photos.
The examples shown were:
- If you make a baseball game photo through a grid, Google can automatically remove the grid from the photo and make the image cleaner for easier search;
- If you shoot in low light conditions, Google can automatically enhance the details of the photo so that it looks better.
How Google Lens Should Impact Digital Marketing
Already thinking about some future possibilities, Google Lens has the potential to change some very important things, both in user behavior and in the way of doing Digital Marketing.
Two important points we identified are:
The way people search the internet will change dramatically
With Google Lens, more and more people will point to objects so that the search engine can identify what it is and provide information about the subject.
This should impact all SEO work, as people will no longer search through words but through images.
As Google likes to say, the main ranking factor is good content, a result that fulfills the user’s expectation.
This will have a high impact on SEO in the future. And it’s good that you are prepared to update yourself according to new technologies!
Assessments will become more important than ever
We already live in the age of evaluations. Whether it’s buying a book, watching a movie on Netflix, or choosing a restaurant for lunch, it’s natural for people to look for reviews to avoid having a frustrating experience.
With Google Lens, reviews will be even more critical for local businesses. It will be natural for the person to pass in front of the establishment, see the evaluation and quickly decide whether to enter or not.
The idea that good marketing starts with a good product/service will be more evident than ever.